Please feel free to download and share this music. In return, there are several ways you can support this project:
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- Share a link to the music with friends who would enjoy it.
- Or make an old-fashioned cash contribution. We suggest $2 per download. Thank you!
We would also love to hear your thoughts on the songs and the issues they bring up. Write to us here:
THE BRIGHT SIDERS is a new musical collaboration between creative child psychiatrist KARI GROFF and award-winning songwriter KRISTIN ANDREASSEN. This fall we're releasing a series of songs and skits that address issues kids face growing up using humor, sensitivity, and positive thinking.
"Forever Friends" is our first single! It tells the story of a girl who moves to a new school, and it helps kids think about new beginnings in general.
With each release, we'll offer some helpful info for parents and kids on the subject of the song. For instance, read on to see what Dr. Groff has to say about new beginnings!
Hey Kids! New school? New friends? New house? No worries!
I bet that most of you know what it is like to start a new school year with a new teacher and maybe even new kids. Some of you know what it is like to move to a new house or a new town.
A lot of people get a little worried when it comes to having to be in new situations especially when it comes to making new friends. My friend Kristin and I wrote a song about new situations. If you listen closely to the story that we tell through the music, you will hear that this catchy song is really about a girl who has to move to a new house, a new school, and has to start over and make new friends. She is really sad about having to leave her old house and her old friends. Is there a silver lining to all of this? What does she learn in the end?
Take a listen to it and then try to think about these ideas with your own experiences and own life. Your mom or dad or someone close to you can help you with the questions. Remember, there are no right or wrong answers!
1. How do you feel when you have to start over in a new grade with a new teacher?
2. Have you ever had to move to a new house? Do you know someone who has had to move to a new place?
3. How can you use the power of the Bright Side to think about new situations that might make you anxious?
POINTS TO TAKE HOME!
1. Use your brain to think about the positive side about a situation. In this song, the girl realizes that it is possible to keep her old friends and make new friends at the same time. Just because you are starting something new doesn’t erase the good memories and the fun experiences you had!
2. Growing up can involve a lot of the big C word “CHANGE”. A lot of kids (and adults too) feel scared when something changes. But, if we remember to use our Bright Side Power, we realize that a lot of fun things can happen when things change even it doesn’t seem that way at first! Change can mean new adventures, new friends, and a chance to show our brave, strong personalities!
Please stay in touch through Facebook and let us know your own experiences, questions and comments about the music and about this important subject.
Kari & Kristin
released August 24, 2013
"Forever Friends" was written by Kari Groff, Kristin Andreassen & Charlie Shaw.
Featuring: Kristin Andreassen (vocals), Stephanie Coleman (fiddle), Chris Eldridge (guitar), Joel Wennerstrom (banjo), Paul Kowert (bass), Mike Riddleberger (drums), and Charlotte & Ruby (background vocals). The "Forever Friends" Skit Features: Kristin Andreassen, Buck McAllister, Janet McAllister & Michaela Herron.
Recorded at The Bunker Studio & Saltlands Studio. Mixed by Alejandro Venguer. Mastered by Oscar Zambrano.
Artwork by Jane Archer | www.psbella.com